These easy cabbage steaks are topped with bacon and blue cheese for an irresistible vegetable side dish! They can be grilled, fried, roasted, or cooked however you like.
Have you ever had cabbage steaks?
Cabbage has always been one of my favorite low carb vegetables. I love it by itself, but thick slices with bacon and blue cheese really take the flavor to the next level!
This side is one of my go-to easy vegetable dishes. It’s so tasty, plus it whips up with almost no effort.
You’ll simply brush the cabbage with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, sweetener, and bacon grease. Cook it however you like, then sprinkle on cheese and bacon. That’s it!
Personally, I love making grilled cabbage steaks. It gets me outside in the fresh air and there’s almost no clean up. You also get that delicious smoky flavor.
If you’re looking for a tasty vegetable side that’s easy to make, definitely give this dish a try.
How to make cabbage steaks
Cooking this delicious veggie side can be done in 5 simple steps:
- Cook bacon. Use any cooking method you like until crisp (I like to use baked bacon). Set aside and allow strips to cool, reserving the bacon grease.
- Slice the cabbage. Cut the head into 8 slices, then season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the dressing. Mix together the apple cider vinegar, sweetener, and bacon grease, then lightly brush the cabbage with the mixture.
- Cook the cabbage. This can be done on the grill, in a pan on the stove, or however you like. If desired, you can baste the cabbage with the leftover liquid mixture as it cooks. I recommend cooking about 5 minutes per side until the cabbage is tender.
- Add the toppings. Once cooked, top with crumbled bacon and blue cheese. Enjoy!
Cooking on the grill
I love the taste you get from cabbage steaks cooked on the grill. It adds delicious flavor, plus there’s almost no clean up!
To keep the cabbage from falling apart, I like to use a grill mesh mat. Then, simply cook the cabbage for about 5 minutes per side until tender.
It’s so easy to grill up the slices alongside your main dish, too. You could grill beef patties for bunless burgers, delicious steaks, or try my keto chicken shish kabobs!
You’ll have everything you need for a delicious outdoor BBQ.
Pan frying is another option if it’s too cold to cook outside.
Simply coat a pan with oil (or leftover bacon grease), then place the brushed cabbage steaks in the pan over medium-high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes per side until tender.
Other cooking methods
There are a few other ways you can prep the cabbage slices.
If you want to roast them in the oven, I recommend placing them under the broiler. This is the closest method to grilling.
Alternatively, you could try cooking them in the air fryer. Set your air fryer to 350°F and cook your cabbage for about 8 minutes, then check for desired crispiness.
How to cut cabbage steaks
Start by cutting off the root end of a large cabbage to create a flat surface. Then, place the flat bottom onto your cutting board.
From there, cut the cabbage from top to bottom into slices that are about ¾ inch to 1 inch thick. You can work from end to end, or slice down the center and work your way out.
More veggie dishes
Looking for more tasty, keto friendly ways to enjoy your vegetable sides? Check out a few of these favorite recipes:
- Low Carb Coleslaw is another delicious cabbage recipe made with a creamy sugar free dressing. And you only need 5 ingredients!
- Keto Broccoli Salad is tossed in a tangy dressing and topped with bacon and cheese for extra flavor.
- Zucchini Au Gratin is a healthier alternative to the high carb potato version that still tastes amazing!
- Keto Creamed Spinach is packed with incredible creamy and cheesy flavor for an irresistible side dish.
- Paleo Zucchini Chips are the perfect way to scoop all of your favorite dips without the extra carbs!
Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Blue Cheese and Bacon
Yummy low carb grilled cabbage steaks with blue cheese and bacon. A simple recipe that cooks up in no time on the grill or in a pan on the stove.
Recipe Video (Click on Image to Play)
Cook bacon until crisp. (either on a pan, an over toaster or oven). Let it cool and crumble.
Cut cabbage into 8 slices. Season with salt and black pepper.
Lightly brush cabbage with Apple Cider Vinegar, sweetener, and bacon drippings.
Cook cabbage on the grill or in a pan. Opt to baste with the liquid mixture.
Before serving, top with crisp bacon and crumbled blue cheese. Enjoy!
Serving: 1steak | Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 320mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 55.4mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 0.8mg
Net Carbs: 6 g | % Carbs: 19.2 % | % Protein: 16 % | % Fat: 64.8 %
Get Recipes Delivered Weekly
Join my email list and you’ll receive a free meal plan with 20 keto recipes. Plus, you can opt-in for special offers only for subscribers!
Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Unauthorized use of this material without written permission from Lisa MarcAurele is strictly prohibited unless for personal offline purposes.
Single photos may be used, provided that full credit is given to LowCarbYum.com along with a link back to the original content.
First Published: August 15, 2016… Last Updated: June 11, 2020